How fun are these Christmas Tree Cupcakes! Always the hit at any holiday party!
- Christmas Green Colored American Buttercream (flavored with vanilla extract)
- White American Buttercream (flavored with vanilla extract)
- Sugar Cones
- Powdered Sugar
- Chocolate Cupcakes (recipe below)
- Red Cupcake Liners
- Small Sieve (for dusting powdered sugar)
- Cake Turntable
- Wilton #30 closed star piping tip fitted in Medium Sized Piping Bag (filled with green buttercream)
- 2 Small Offset Spatulas
- Rubber Spatula
- Bowl Filled With Green Buttercream
- Ice Cream Scoop with Release Lever
- Bowl Filled With White Buttercream
Chocolate Cupcake Ingredients
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch process)
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake tin with liners.
- Whisk the cocoa powder and 1 ½ cups boiling water in a medium bowl until smooth; set aside.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl until combined.
- Add the eggs, vegetable oil, sour cream and vanilla and beat with a mixer on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low; beat in the cocoa mixture in a steady stream until just combined, then finish mixing with a rubber spatula.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Frost the cupcakes in white frosting. It doesn’t have to be smooth, a bit of texture will make it look more like snow.
- Use an offset spatula to apply a thin layer of green buttercream to the surface of the cone. This will help the dollops you apply stick to the cone better as well as making the trees totally green (in case your dollops don’t give full coverage.
- Use a number 30 tip to pipe star-shaped dollops onto the surface of the cone beginning at the bottom and working to the top.
- Sift confectioners’ sugar onto the cupcake (to look like snow) and it’s ready to serve!
Recipe from the Hallmark